Tuesday, October 5, 2010


In the summer of 2010, I traveled to my native Kenya to conduct field work for my dissertation report. I spend about two months in the field carrying out this exercise. I carried out my study among a rural women group called Bang' jomariek women group in West Reru sub location of Kisumu East District in Western Kenya. The group has 25 active members and a number of inactive ones. The name means 'after the wise ones' and refers to the fact that they think they were late in founding their group while other people's were already up and running. This group involves itself in a variety of activities not limited to the production of pots, baskets and clay wall making which formed the gist of my study. This group is involved in teaching and learning processes that can be considered non-Western in orientation because they are adaptations of the pre-colonial community's methods of doing the same.
Akinyi Wadende

No comments:

Post a Comment